Gynecomastia is a condition of enlarged breasts in men that may arise at any stage of life. This condition mostly ensues as a result of hormonal changes, heredity, obesity or the side effect of certain drugs and medications. Male gynecomastia is a condition which affects more than fifty percent of the men, teenage boys and even older men.
Gynecomastia may not pose a threat to your health but definitely, it can give rise to certain emotional hitches. It has been reported that enlarged breasts may result in embarrassment, humiliation and that may even interfere with the quality of life. The male breast enlargement may give rise to such psychological impact that they might start avoiding intimate physical relationships.
Therefore, gynecomastia can be identified by-
- Excess fat accumulation in the breasts.
- Presence of excessive glandular tissues underneath the breasts.
- Some excess breast skin may also be present.
- Both or single breast may be affected.
Boys who are passing through their puberty may also experience enlarged breasts because of their hormonal imbalance in their body. Men have oestrogen and testosterone in their body, so the rise in the oestrogen hormonal level may result in the enlargement of the male breasts. 90 percent of the breast enlargement in teenage boys are self-resolving and the remaining people may require undergoing any treatment procedure. But the situation is definitely not the same for adult males and older men. Adults need to undergo specific treatment procedures to get rid of this condition.
So the good news for all those men who are suffering from Gynecomastia is that now there are numerous ways to deal with such condition. Medications, hormonal treatments may be helpful in treating certain conditions. However, gynecomastia surgery is considered one of the top solution that men can choose. Gynecomastia surgery can be in the form of liposuction or tissue excision which involves the removal of glandular male breast tissues by a surgical procedure that is present underneath the breasts.
Thus, gynecomastia surgery helps in reducing the breast size in men and help them to accomplish a flat and enhanced chest contour. Though in some cases, the weight loss may also help to get rid of the certain condition. In severe cases, surgeons may also need to improve the areolar region by surgically removing the excess skin.
Candidate’s Ideal for Gynecomastia Surgery
- Men whose condition cannot be rectified through any alternative medical treatments.
- They must be in a healthy condition with no life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair the healing procedure.
- Candidates must be not be addicted to smoking, alcohol or drugs.
- They must definitely keep a positive and realistic outlook on the procedure.
- Men who are physically healthy with a weight ear to their ideal weight.
- Finally, men who are disturbed by the appearance of their breasts and desperately wants to get rid of it.
Gynecomastia Surgical Procedures
Gynecomastia is a surgical procedure so before beginning the procedure, certain medications are administered to provide comfort during the surgery. The anaesthesia options may include intravenous sedation and general anaesthesia. The surgeon usually recommends the best option for you.
- For cases where gynecomastia is due to the presence of excessive fatty tissues liposuction alone may be helpful. Gynecomastia treatment with liposuction requires injecting the area of treatment with some medical solution mixed with some anaesthetic solution. Then some incisions are made in the area of treatment through which a narrow hollow tube is inserted. Then the cannula is made to move in a controlled motion, which helps in loosening the excess fat. This liquefied fat is then removed out from the body through a vacuum suction. There are numerous liposuction techniques that can be used and it is only a surgeon who can determine the best procedure for you.
- Gynecomastia can also be treated through incision technique for those cases who cannot achieve the desired result with liposuction. In tissue excision technique, the glandular breast tissues or excess skin must be removed to correct the enlarged breast coition. In some cases, excisions may also be required to reduce the areola or reposition the nipple to accomplish more of natural masculine breast contour. The incision patterns may vary depending on specific conditions and surgical preference.The location, length and depth of the incisions depends on the extent of the surgery. The incisions are normally located around the edge of the areola or within the natural creases of the chest. An experienced surgeon will always try making incisions in most inconspicuous areas. The male breast reduction is mostly performed on an outpatient basis so patients can return back home immediately after undergoing the procedure.
- Surgeons may also choose to combine both the liposuction and tissue excision procedure to achieve the best desired
Immediately after undergoing a gynecomastia surgery, the treated area is covered with dressing and bandage. Men who have undergone a liposuction and tissue excision procedure usually experience a quite endurable recovery period. They are usually provided with a compression garment that is instructed to be worn for the first few weeks after the surgery. This helps in reducing the swelling and also provides support to the new breast contour. Patients can be able to return to normal activities within a week or so. But strenuous activities can only be resumed after three weeks or according to the instruction of your surgeon. However, the recovery speed may vary from person to person but it is imperative to follow the post-op instructions that are provided by the surgeon to enjoy a complication free result.
Some part of the result of gynecomastia is usually noticed immediately after the procedure though candidates may feel some soreness and pain even after few months of undergoing the procedure. The cosmetic surgeon will provide some medications for pain and a compression garment to speed up the healing. This will help to enhance the male breast contour. Most of the associated complications are temporary and they gradually fade away with time.
However the results obtained are meant to be permanent since the fatty tissues, glandular tissues and skin are removed permanently. It is very important to preserve a healthy lifestyle in order to maintain the acquired results. Remarkable weight gain, use of steroid injections, taking drugs, etc. can also affect the acquired results.
Risks Associated with Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia is overall a safe procedure, though it may include certain potential complications like-
- Allergic reaction to anaesthesia.
- Formation of blood clots.
- Formation of breast asymmetry.
- Changes in the nipple sensation.
- Damage to underlying nerves, blood vessels, etc.
- Accumulation of fluids.
- Persistent pain.
- Poor wound healing, etc.
Most of these complications are temporary and usually fades away with time. For further more severe complications, patients may require undergoing a second revision surgery. The surgeon will discuss most of these complications with the patient during the consultation.
Cost of Gynecomastia
The gynecomastia surgery cost usually differs on various factors like the type of anaesthesia required, experience and reputation of the surgeon, geographic location of the office, hospital charges, medical tests, post-surgical garments. In most of the cases, a gynecomastia is usually not covered by insurance. However, the final cost will be determined by the surgeon during the consultation.