Nose is the most vital organ of the human body which plays an important role in the body mechanism. It acts as a defensive mechanism which restricts the entry of foreign organisms into the body. There can be several complications faced if proper care isn’t being taken. We at Currae Speciality Hospital, have the solutions for the complications that you face which can help you restore your normal functioning.
Some of the services provided at Currae are:
- Sinus Infection
- Deviated Septum
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Nasal Fracture
ENT Sinus Infection
Sinusitis is the inflammation or swelling of tissues lining sinuses. Healthy sinuses are filled with air but when they are blocked and get filled with unwanted fluid, germs tend to grow in it causing an infection.
There are four major types of sinusitis
- Acute sinusitis
- Subacute sinusitis
- Chronic sinusitis
- Recurrent sinusitis
The common conditions that can lead to sinus infection are,
- Allergic rhinitis,
- Swelling of the lining of the nose
- Common cold
- Deviated septum, shift in the nasal cavity
- Nasal polyps, minor growth in the lining of the nose
Acute sinusitis symptoms
- Facial pain
- Loss of smell
- Runny nose, fever, and bad breath
- Dental pain
- Thick green or yellow nasal discharge
Chronic sinusitis symptoms
- Fever and running nose
- Pus in nasal cavity
- Congestion or fullness in face
- Nasal blockage
In case of simple sinus infection, a doctor may suggest to have decongestant and saline nasal washes. Though, using a particular decongestant for more than three days is not recommended.
In case, your doctor prescribes you antibiotics, they are to be consumed for 10-14 days for the symptoms to totally disappear. Warm and moist air may help in case one is suffering from chronic sinusitis. Use vaporizer or inhale steam for relief. Other effective treatments are,
- Warm compressors
- Saline nose drops
- Antihistamine, in case of allergies
ENT Deviated Septum
It occurs when the thin wall between the nasal passages gets displaced to one side. In most of the people, this deviation in nasal passage makes one nasal passage smaller. Moreover, if this deviated septum is severe, it can block one side of your nose reducing airflow causing a difficulty in breathing.
Apart from obstructed breathing, this deviated septum may also cause crusting or bleeding in certain individuals. Such nasal obstruction can occur either from deviated septum or from swelling of tissues lining the nose or from both. To correct such deviation, the only way out is surgery.
A deviated septum can be caused by,
- Condition present since birth: in certain cases, the condition may appear during fetal development.
- Injury to the nose: This may also be a result of some injury that led to a shift in nasal septum. Such injury may either occur during childbirth or some other major instance leading to deviated septum. Trauma from active play and contact sport may also lead to such shift.
In most cases, such septal deformities do not have any symptoms, and you may live unaware about your condition. In other cases, these are the noticeable signs that you may observe,
- Frequent nosebleeds
- Noisy breathing during sleeping and whistling sound during inhaling and exhaling.
- Preference for sleeping on a particular side due to blockage on other side
- Awareness of nasal cycle or heavy breathing
- Facial pain
If the symptoms of deviated septum are not problematic and person can live with it peacefully, there is no need for the treatment. Otherwise, commonly suggested treatments are
- Steroid sprays
- Nasal dilators
- Saline irrigations
But, for severe misalignments, a nasal surgery becomes a vital choice to take out the crooked region of the septum.
ENT Allergic Rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis or hay fever is nothing but an allergic response to otherwise harmless allergen. Pollens are the most common allergen in seasonal allergic rhinitis. These are allergy symptoms that occur with the change in seasons.
As per research, around 10-30 percent of the world population may be suffering from allergic rhinitis.
Each time your body comes in contact with an allergen, it releases histamine, a natural chemical to defend your body from the allergen. This chemical can cause allergic histamine. In addition to pollens, other common allergens are,
- Grass pollen
- Cat saliva
- Animal dander
- Dust mites
Common symptoms of allergic rhinitis include,
- Frequent headaches
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Runny, stuffy and itchy nose
- Dark circles
- Eczema type symptoms including dry and itchy skin that can blister
- Sore and scratchy throat
- Excessive fatigue
There are several ways in which you can treat your allergic rhinitis. You may either choose to go for home remedies or medications. Medications may include consumption of,
- Antihistamine like Benadryl, Loratadine, Claritin etc.
- Decongestants like Afrin nasal spray and cetirizine
- Eye drops and nasal sprays
ENT Nasal Fracture
Our nose is made up of skin, bone, and cartilage. A nasal fracture refers to a crack or fractures in the bone portion the nose. This is usually a result of an external trauma like blows, accidents, and sports injury. There are considered to be the most common type of facial fractures.
All the causes of fractured nose are related to the external trauma to the nose or face. Common sources of trauma can be,
- A blow during an altercation, vehicle accidents or sports injuries
- Personal fights
- Especially in children, nasal fractures are most commonly due to falls from heights.
When one gets swelling, bleeding, or bruising on the nose, it becomes obvious that the cause is a broken nose. Signs that suggest that a person has broken nose may include
- Bruised nose
- Bruising under the eyes
- Swelling of the nose
- Deformity of the nasal shape
- Tenderness while touching
- A creaking sound each time someone tries to touch the nose
- Pain and difficulty in breathing using nostrils.
In case of a mild deformity, one can choose to take care of the broken nose at home to reduce the symptoms of the broken nose. While in case a doctor is sought for advice, he may advice,
- For simple breaks, only pain killers, ice and nasal decongestions
- For a severely displaced bone, the doctor may try to realign the bone piece by using pain medication, nasal instrument, and anesthesia.
- Most repairs of nasal realignments are done only after the swelling subsides.
But if bleeding continues even after the treatment, a soft gauze pad is placed inside the bleeding nostril to stop the nose bleeding completely.