A mommy makeover is a combination of cosmetic procedures that help people to restore a pre-pregnancy appearance that basically focuses on the breasts and abdominal area. The ultimate goal of a mommy makeover is to restore the shape and appearance of the body of women, especially after pregnancy. Most of the women find numerous changes in their body after completing pregnancy and specifically in body areas like abdomen, waist, genitalia, buttocks, etc. A mommy makeover is thus a series of procedures which is performed under a single stage. There are numerous techniques that can be used to perform a mommy makeover. But the appropriate procedure for you mat depends on the following factors-
- The required amount of restoration.
- The position of the incisions.
- Type of implant used.
A mommy makeover procedure is comprised of the following cosmetic procedures-
- Breast augmentation, breast lift, buttock augmentation, liposuction, tummy tuck and vaginal rejuvenation.
Pros of mommy makeover
- This procedure helps in restoring young-looking breasts and a flat abdominal area.
- You can get a better and comfortable fit to clothing.
- A rejuvenating and appealing body contour can also be accomplished with this procedure.
Cons of mommy makeover
- If you undergo a breast augmentation using implants then it will require a constant checking and a replacement of the implant after ten years.
- Pregnancy after undergoing a mommy makeover procedure may result in alterations in the obtained result.
- Significant weight gain can also result in alterations in the achieved result.
Who is considered as a good candidate for a mommy makeover procedure?
- Candidates who are struggling with sagging and uneven breasts, reduced breast volume, drooping nipples and stretched areolas may choose to undergo a mommy makeover procedure.
- Women whose breasts have become larger after childbirth and pregnancy and the breasts seem to be out of proportion with the rest of the body can undergo the procedure because it is often found that overly large breasts giving rise to certain other physical issues.
- Women with a significant amount of loose skin in the abdominal area and the waistline have thickened and have become undefined, may also choose the surgical procedure.
- The excess fat in the love handles, hips and thighs, the early signs of aging in the face and around the eyes, can opt for a mommy
- Finally, the candidates must be in a good health and must keep a realistic expectation from the procedure.
Mommy makeover procedural steps
Mommy makeover is not just a single procedure it includes numerous other procedures. So to choose the appropriate procedure for you, it is mandatory to consult with your surgeon and undergo only those procedures which will help to address the problem areas and fetch the best results.
- Tummy tuck- Tummy tuck is also popular as abdominoplasty which aims in targeting a flabby abdomen which may be a result of excessive fat accumulation, presence of excess skin, lack of skin elasticity, loosening off the abdominal muscles, etc. Thus a tummy tuck procedure helps to get rid of the loose skin, fat and stretch marks in the lower abdominal area and the belly button area. The abdominal muscle is also tightened to create a smoother and even abdominal profile. The incision extends from hip to hip which are closed with sutures. The incisions will leave behind a scar that will mostly be found along the natural crease within bikini line.
- Liposuction- It is also popular as lipoplasty and is mainly responsible for improving the body contour of the flanks, hips, chest, thighs, neck, upper arms, knees or other parts of the body. A liposuction procedure involves injecting a sterile medicinal fluid mixed with a local anesthetic that can help to control the pain and bleeding. Then, the surgeon makes incisions in the area of treatment and then a narrow hollow cannula is inserted through these incisions. The incisions are so small that they are hardly visible. A controlled movement helps to loosen the fat cells and then the liquefied fat is sucked out from the body with a high vacuum suction. After the removal of the fat, the area of treatment is dressed and a compression garment will be provided to enhance the healing and to provide support to the new body contour.
- Breast lift- A breast lift procedure is also termed as mastopexy which is particularly suitable for treating sagging and uneven breasts. Decreased breast volume, stretched areolas, drooping nipples can all be treated with a breast lift procedure. A breast lift procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia. The surgeon makes incision depending on the amount of excess skin to be removed, the position of the nipples, individual preferences. Each of these incisions has different scarring patterns but most of the scars remain hidden within the natural breast contours. for some people, these scars are mostly permanent, however, they may disappear over time for some people. After making the incisions, the surgeon elevates and reshapes the breast tissues and surgically remove the excess skin. The nipple and the areola are then repositioned if required to accomplish a more youthful appearance. The incisions are then sutured up with deep layers to support the new breast shape.
- Breast reduction- It has often been found that pregnancy results in the swelling up of the breasts. In some women, the breasts remain larger, whereas others desires in making changes in their overly large breasts. excessively large breasts may give rise to several issues like poor posture, pain, rashes, breathing problems, skeletal deformities, lack of self-esteem. However, a breast reduction surgery helps to surgically remove the excess fat, glandular tissues from the breasts to accomplish a compact, smaller breast. The surgeon may also choose liposuction for eliminating the excess fat from the breast tissues. The incisions are made depending on the amount of breast tissues to be removed. There are four most common incision patterns that are used. At the end of the procedure, the incisions are sutured up. The new breast contour is supported by surgical tapes or skin adhesives. A surgical bra will be provided by the surgeon during the recovery period for a speedy recovery.
- Breast augmentation- Breast enhancement is such a surgical procedure that helps in increasing or restoring the breast size either by using silicone gel implants, saline implants or by autologous fat transfer. The implant is normally placed in a pocket under or above the pectoral muscle depending on the amount of enhancement desired. The incisions are made either in the inframammary area or under the breast or near the armpit or around the areola. In very rare cases a belly button approach is required. In case of breast augmentation with fat transfer the fat is collected from other parts of the body through liposuction, then the processed fat is injected into the breasts to bring the most natural appearance. The breasts are kept wrapped with a bandage or a surgical compression bra immediately after the surgery.
Before and after the procedure
On the day of the procedure, the surgeon will discuss the last minute details so that the patient has a clear idea of everything about the procedure. A mommy makeover is usually performed under general anesthesia and the procedure takes about three to five hours for its completion. Depending on the current health condition of the patient, the surgeon will decide whether to have a full makeover under one session or a second session will also be required.
Immediately after undergoing the surgery, a gauze or bandage will be applied on the incisions. It is normal that the patients will experience some of the post-op pain, swelling, and discomfort. For the first few months, it is very important to follow the post-op instructions provided by the surgeon. Most of the surgeons provide a compression garment to the patients for the first few weeks to speed the healing. This will also help in reducing the swelling and providing support to the new body contour. The healing will continue for several weeks and the final result will be visible when the swelling will decrease gradually and the shape of the breasts, abdomen, waist, etc. However, the bottom line is that it is always desired to choose a highly experienced and skilled cosmetic surgeon to avoid undesired result. The final results of mommy makeover may not be apparent for several months after the surgery.
The potential risks of mommy makeover procedure may include bleeding, infection, poor wound healing, hematoma, seroma, loss of nipple sensation, unable to breastfeed, rupture or leakage of the breast implants, recurrent looseness of skin, death of fat cells, poor wound healing, undesired contour, allergic reaction to anaesthesia, etc. However, it is said that on following the post-surgery instructions provided by the surgeon, there are least chances of experiencing such complications.
Affording a mommy makeover procedure
The cost of a mommy makeover procedure is based on various factors like the geographic location of the clinic, the experience of the surgeon, extent of the surgery, number of procedures undergone. The other associated costs may include surgeon’s fee, anaesthesia fees, the price of the implants, post-surgical garments, etc.