LASIK Eye Surgery Risk Factors And Limitations
LASIK Eye Surgery Risk Factors And Limitations
Ever since mankind has got the power to alter several different types of things in this world, it has revolutionized the very thought of a person having to do anything the same way ever again. Due to the advancements in several fields, we have witnessed the upbringing of different kind of new innovations and technologies that can make temporary things go away and make things permanent in our bodies. But this is only a fraction of what we are capable of and in the realm of science, technology and medicine, there are several different advancements that have already been made that gives a whole new different look as to how anyone might see it ever again. The 21st century has brought innovation and constant development in so many different fields that everything has become safer and dependable all over again. But when we talk mainly about medicine, then it’s a whole new ball game as when compared to the 19th century and the 21st century, you can see so many different types of procedures and methods that have come into play that something which is temporarily a pain becomes a permanent outstanding thing in your body which can never be witnessed ever again. Such developments have not only been limited to the body but even to the delicate of all the organs in your system. And one they are the human eye. The human eye is the organ that lets us see the various different things around us and gives us the capability to actually judge things depending upon the distance it might from us.
So, if anything were to ever happen to this part of the eye, then it can prove to be fatal and also cause a person to go blind forever. But in the 21st century, that factor has reduced and blindness is a thing of the past as newer technology and breakthroughs have made it possible for the people to retain their vision no matter how severe the problem might be. But whenever there might be any sort of increase in the power of the eye, which means to say that whenever the eye starts to see things in a blurry vision, then you might use glasses or contact lenses to correct them and also keep your vision particularly sharp. But then what is for a person this wasn’t the end solution and wanted something a whole lot more than this? Then this is where the area of surgery plays in. this isn’t any sort of invasive surgery we are talking about ever here but we are talking about precision machinery surgery with the application of lasers known as laser eye surgery. For all of you wondering out there, it is the application of laser in order to correct the vision of the eye to eliminate the use of glasses or contact lenses. But even in this laser eye surgery, there are different types and one of them that we are going to discuss at large is LASIK eye surgery.
The entire meaning of this surgery is to provide an alternative to your glasses and also get rid of them on a permanent basis. Also, the other main key feature of this surgery is to actually eliminate or correct the basic problems that the eye might be facing that might interrupt your vision. LASIK eye surgery is the most commonly performed eye surgery that is not only successful but then it has its own success rate as well. In the entire procedure of the surgery, it has the application of lasers in order to correct the bulged shaped area present right in front of the eye that tends to help in the magnification or enable you to see the things around you also known as the cornea. It is altered in order to get the image properly processed to your eyes and doesn’t affect the overall vision as well. Although the main function of the cornea is to direct the light that is being passed from it into the back of the eye that can enable in the proper vision, but then when the light that is entering the eye hits the back of the ye in some other potion, then you could experience long sightedness, short sightedness or astigmatism that might lead to blurred vision as well. Hence the whole point of the surgery is to actually resurrect the cornea and get the vision back to how it was before the blurred visions or any other form of eye problem kicked in.
Why Is the Entire Surgery Done?
There are several reasons as to why one might want to consider getting this surgery done. Yes, it’s used to correct some of the deformities that are related to the eye and the outer surface of it. But then there are other problems which are related to the vision that is also treated by this surgery. Hence some of the reasons are given below. Check them out.
- Astigmatism – basically in this type of eye defect, the overall surface area of the cornea is disrupted. When this happens the vision of near and long sightedness tends to get ruptured and also causes the person to have blurred vision. Hence this results in the disease or problem.
- Nearsightedness(myopia) – this kind of problem is common but then in this type of problem, the eyeball is slightly longer or the cornea of your eyeball tends to be much more shaper. This causes the light rays that are entering your eyeballs and onto the retina to blur out with the far-off object and gives you a clear-cut vision of the things that are close by. Therefore, the far-off objects become very blur as the problem progresses and the nearby objects tend to appear very clear.
- Farsightedness(hyperopia) – this problem tends to occur when the eyeballs are shorter in size or the cornea of your eyeballs tend to be flatter than normal people. In this point of the problem, the light is travelling into the eyeballs tends to hit behind the retina rather than on it causing the reverse of the above-mentioned problem. The things that appear the too far seem to be very clear but the things are kept close by are a burden to your eye and is very blur.
But then for all of this problem contacts and glasses are always there to only give you a temporary solution. If you consult a doctor then you might come to know about the different types of other things that are available for you in order to avoid the surgery. Not only this but then there are several other refractive options out there that can help you to see things better. But for astigmatism and other problems associated with it, surgery is the only way that one could actually get the vision that you once lost.
Certain risks that the surgery actually poses
Well If you have any sort of eye problems then becoming blinds sure does come to your mind even though there are no ways of becoming blind unless and until you physically do something to them. But then if you look at the surgery that we have here then you might see that there are certain risks that might come under your way that you must and should be aware about. thus, there are certain side effects and also certain amount of complications as well that tend to persistent after the surgery well up to 3-6 weeks after the surgery. Nothing permanent except that your eye is seeing better that has to stay on a permanent basis. Hence some of them might have a long-term issue with the problem or just have a short-term and get over with it. Some of the various short or long-term risks are given below.
- Overcorrections – well anything can happen in the case of surgeries as there are several times where the underlying cause of the problem might not be removed but other things might as well be removed. Hence in the entire surgery when the laser doesn’t move that fast and tends to remove more tissue, at that point of time there might be some really adverse issues and fake lenses might have to installed. If there is less tissue removed then another surgery might have to performed in order to correct everything back together.
- Night halos, glare and double vision – right after the surgery you might witness that there is acute burst of light in night time whenever you might look at any particular source of light. But this is all due to the surgery being done. Also, there might be some amount of difficulty that you might witness in shady lighting and also there might much difficulty in viewing things in foggy areas. Thus, all of this poses a problem to the eye for few weeks after the surgery. But then after that, it should go away automatically. But then in the night time, you might witness that you night seeing capability actually reduces because of the surgery being done, but as everything starts to heal up, you can automatically see things better. But this generally takes a really long time.
- Under corrections – during the time of surgery, if there are any mishaps related to the laser not moving fast enough then it might lead to the removal of not that much tissue which needs to be removed or altered. It can lead to the under corrections of the entire problem and cause some further issues as well.
- Astigmatism – in the entire process of the LASIK surgery, when there is a treatment going on and if there are any kind of errors that is done while correcting the corneas of the eyes, then there are even removal of the cornea that might lead to the irregularity of the eye seeing things not clearly but with faded vision altogether. Other than this if you want to get things corrected and not pose a further threat then surgery and also some kind of contacts and glasses need to be worn in order to make things right and not prolong the situation further.
- Dry eyes – after every surgery or even nibbling with your eyes, there is the production of tears. But then with this surgery that is done to your eyes, you might witness that there isn’t any production of tears for roughly 3-6 weeks after the surgery. At times even after a long time after the surgery, you might witness that the eyes dry up causing it unbearable pain and also lowering the overall vision capability of that person. Hence the tear ducts tend to not work as the eyes tend to heal to provide greater viewing functionality. Other than this, if you are experiencing a greater amount of discomfort and also tend to can’t withstand the pain then you can actually put eye drops prescribed by the doctor in order to give some amount of relief to your eye. Therefore, if this isn’t enough for you then there are special tear ducts plugs that are put up against I that helps to lubricate your eyes as and when it might feel dry at any given point of time.
- Changes in vision or vision loss – after any surgery to your eyes, you might not be able to view the same. But this is a temporary thing that will go way in time. But then, in the long run, there might changes in the vision because of several factors affecting the person. It might be due to age, or even the intensity at which the eye is being trained with. Hence there are cases where people might not be able to view or see things sharply like ever before causing another round of surgery to rectify the underlying cause and get things back into shape for them to see things properly once again. Yes, in the long run, all this might be possible, but not that many cases have been reported.
- Problems in the flaps – when the ria any sort of alterations that are done to your eyes by creating flap and folding it and placing it back on the cornea might cause some serious issues of infection and excess of tears to be produced. But then all of this can be rectified with proper surgery and also medication. But the most abnormal of situations might lead to the growth of epithelial tissues right beneath the flap that might lead to blurred vision and the preexisting problems to overcome once again causing the same surgery to happen all over again. Other than this all of this tends to happen during the healing phase of the eye, hence you have to wait and watch whether you might have it until and unless your eyes are healed up completely or not.
But then there were some of the risks that you could get after you get the surgery done. On the other hand, there are other risks that can affect the surgery and also increase the overall situation of the problem and be rectifying it to become a fatal thing to your eye. But then before you get the surgery your doctor might take up an examination to determine as to what disease is there that can alter that final result of your surgery. Because of the implementation of high refractive laser index, there might be some really adverse conditions that might result in the surgery going for a failure. Hence some of the underlying conditions where you shouldn’t get the surgery done is given below.
- If you are suffering from any kind of autoimmune disorders or disease that might be fatal to the overall outcome of the surgery. Autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
- If there are any sort of underlying causes of the defect of the eye that might be caused naturally or due to some sort of artificial interference such as glaucoma, cataract, lid disorders, blood tears, etc.
- The eyes tend to get dried up unexpectedly without any sort of underlying cause or infection.
- If you have taken any sort of vaccinations or immunosuppressants and have a weakened immune system that might lead to some fatal diseases during or after the surgery. Or even if you HIV or AIDS.
- If you are undergoing any kin fog hormonal change and if you are pregnant as well that might lead to the factors of breastfeeding and also your age plays a vital role as at an older age no matter how many ever surgeries you might get done to improve your vision, your vision will never improve.
Also, there are other conditions where you cannot get the surgery done because of the following reason that is given below. Take a look.
- If you have really large eyes and a very thin cornea.
- If there is an eye disease of keratoconus which is heredity in your family genes.
- If your eye has persistent or severe nearsightedness.
- If your eye changes its viewing capability from time to time and has no formal control over it. Also known as presbyopia.
- If you are engaged in any sort of sports that might result in the blowing of dust or any foreign object to your face that might indirectly get inside of your eyes.
- Have a fairly or moderately good vision that means to say that you might not need the surgery after all.
But then even after reading all of this you are still persistent on getting the surgery done then it’s better than you might get a formal discussion done with your doctor. As they can provide a much better insight as to how the overall operation of your eye is going to be done and what are the possible outcomes if anything has to go wrong. So, think twice before you even think about any sort of alterations to be done to your eyes.
What Are the Overall Limitations of the Surgery?
Well with all of the modern technology that has been progressing into new things as the days go by, there are some of the drawbacks that one can face whenever there is something new that is being innovated. But then with reference to this article when we talk about LASIK eye surgery then there a couple of limitations or drawbacks that come to picture that you might have to consider and also be aware of before you even go ahead or think about getting the surgery done. Some of which include.
- Well right from the start, if there are any sort of mistakes that are made to the eye during the surgery and once it is done. Then even if you want to resurrect it, can cost you severely and the entire procedure needs to be restarted in order to give you the desired results.
- In LASIK eye surgery, once you get the changes to the cornea, then there can be no changes done as once you chip away any form of tissue then you can regain that back. it’ll be a while since the tissue even grows back and till then the person could be partially blind or even have blurred vision that might be a deadly life to even go through by.
- Even surgery cannot get you the perfect vision which you used to sport with glasses or contact lenses. But then if you look at it. People tend to opt for this all because of the fact that this is the best way of actually getting rid of the glasses and contact lenses, but you vision that you used to have when you used to wear them is never achieved. You might get a vision that is lower to that, but then never on par with the kind of vision that you receive after surgery.
- In every surgery, there might be some form of miss confusion or error that can lead to something even more fatal from being very simple. But then in LASIK eye surgery when you are dealing with something that is really intense and deals with the vision of your eyes then you might have to think twice. Once wrong cut in the flap or in the cornea and you can lose your vision completely. Yes, partial vision can be obtained but then it is a long shot to see whether or not total vision can be achieved or not.
What Can You Actually Expect Out of the Entire Operation?
Well, there Is nothing that extraordinary that you might have to witness during this surgery as just like every other surgery everything is just the same. But then in this form of surgery, the entire process takes roughly around 30-40 mins from start to finish so within a day you might be on your way home to full recovery. But once you enter the operation room, you are placed on a reclining chair where you be will be given medication to help you relax and not freak out seeing the things that are above of you or next to you. Next, there is anesthesia that is given to you in the form of drops or injection. But primarily, drops are placed into your eyes to numb them and an instrument is used in order to keep the eyelids open and not to interrupt the surgeon during the entire operation.
After all of this, a suction ring in placed right above your eye to suck in the excess amount of fluid and a flap is created on the epithelial layer of the cornea where most of the operating part will be done. Also, after this, the flap is then created with the help of any sort of scalpel or laser guided instrument that tends to make it, even more, easier for the surgeon to just create the flap and pull it away from the cornea.
After this, this is the crucial part where the laser is guided to the eye and with each beam of the laser, a small or tiny part of the cornea is taken away in order to reshape it in the right format to help the patient see better and correct any sort of imperfections in the cornea. After it is achieved everything is stitched back right into place and with the body’s healing power, everything is back to normal only after the flap is sealed back and is stitched back into place.
But then during the entire surgery, you will be asked to look at a distinct point of light where this will determine the laser to precisely take out the exact amount of tissue such that perfect vision can be obtained. Btu then you can smell a distinct smell of the laser actually burring or vaporizing the tissue of your cornea and it somewhat smells like burning of the hair. But in the end, everything is well and new with nothing possibly going wrong. But then if you require the surgery in both of the eyes, then the operation happens at the same time but one after the other.
After the entire surgery you will be given some amount of medication and bandages will be wrapped around your eye in order to avoid any form of infection and to make it much more convenient for the patient to not itch or scratch the right after the surgery is taken place. Your vision is blurry after the surgery but over a period of time, it should become fine and you can regain your normal activities after the allotted rest period is taken up.
Hence now that you have seen all the results and risks and the limitations of the LASIK eye surgery, you come to know that the surgery is not that bad at all. Given the circumstances of the nature of the eye and the things that it needs to retain in order for the operation to go successful, almost all of them around the world have eyes such as the required one. Hence many of them who have contacts or also have glasses can get the surgery done and live a problem or distortion-free life as well. But then after the surgery and after all the pain that you might have to go after the operation, it is a very good chance that you can achieve somewhere around 20/25 vision back or even better vision that can lead to the chances of you not wearing glasses or contacts ever again. Which is excellent in several of the cases. Also, in a recent study that was conducted, it was shown that roughly around 8 out of 10 people didn’t need their glasses or contacts after they go their surgery done. It proves that how effective the surgery can be for a person who wants to get rid of the third-party objects that they have to carry around just to see things properly in front of them.
But then the success rate of the entire surgery depends upon how low of the problem that you eye might have or how high it might be. For the people who have a lesser problem of nearsightedness then their results are very definitive and also leads to them having their proper or best vision back with the help of refractive surgery. Hence there might be some amount of reconsideration placed when the problem of your eye is more and needs a whole lot more of attention into the surgery. Hence it can be successful or it might as well just leave you blinded from one part of your eye in the end. So, at the end of the day, do make sure that you take to your doctor about what the risks and limitations are about the surgery and how much you might be looking for in terms of the final payment. So, think twice before you get it done and all the best if you are considering it to be done to your eyes to get rid of the glasses and contact lenses once and for all.