How does IVF cycle work?
How does IVF cycle work?
IVF means In-Vitro Fertilization. The couple should consider IVF without much delay if
- IUI cycles failed 2-4 times
- Wife has blocked Fallopian tubes
- Premature failure of ovaries
- Advanced female age – over 38 years old
- Severe endometriosis
- Husband has low sperm count or low motility
IVF cycle in snapshot
- Ovaries are stimulated with hormones to produce more eggs
- Eggs released from ovaries are extracted by laparoscopy
- Under high power microscope, egg is injected with a good quality sperm from husband
- Fertilised egg is grown inside an incubator under controlled micro-environment
- In 2-3 days it grows into an embryo, which is transferred into uterus
IVF cycle: Step by step
- To start IVF cycle, wife is given contraceptive pills to control menstrual cycle and make ovulation time more predictable.
- FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) is given to stimulate the ovaries to produce more eggs. In a natural cycle, only single egg (ovum) is released. But in IVF cycle, objective is to get more eggs to generate more embryos.
- Simultaneously LH (Luteinizing Hormone) is given to prepare the uterus to receive embryo
- Regular ultrasonography is done to study follicular growth in the ovaries. This assists in estimating the time of release of egg (ovulation).
- On the estimated day of ovulation, HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) is given to induce release of eggs (ova) from ovaries.
- The released eggs are captured and extracted by laparoscopy. The eggs are immediately transferred to incubator in controlled environment.
- Husband’s semen is taken, washed and purified. With help of high power microscope, few sperms with good motility and functions are selected.
- Under very high power microscope, single good quality sperm from husband is injected inside each egg by delicate procedure by embryologist. This is artificial fertilization of egg.
- The fertilised eggs are kept inside incubator under controlled micro environment conducive for their growth to embryos.
- After 2-3 days of growth inside incubator, 1 or 2 good quality embryos are transferred inside wife’s uterus for further growth. This provides natural uterine environment for embryo to grow.
- It is crucial that in few days embryo should ‘stick’ to uterus on its own. This is called implantation of embryo on the wall of uterus.
- 2 weeks after inserting embryo inside the uterus, urine test is done to check presence of HCG in urine. Positive urine test reflects successful implantation.
- 2 weeks are positive urine test, USG is done to check growth of implanted embryo and confirm pregnancy. Confirmed pregnancy on USG is reason for rejoice.
- You should now closely follow advice of your Gynecologist for successful pregnancy outcome.
- Success of IVF cycle depends on patient’s condition, doctor’s skills and IVF Lab facilities and protocols.
To conserve time and money, it is important to select IVF Centers like Currae Gynaec, IVF & Birthing Hospital which adhere to international protocols, have highly skilled team of doctors and embryologists and higher published success rates. Team at Currae works uninterrupted to give you the joy of becoming parents with ease, comfort and psychological support.