Factors for the successful embryo transfer after IVF?
What factors are important for the successful embryo transfer after in-vitro fertilization?
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a medical procedure that is used to treat a number of fertility or genetic problems that can help women to overcome such issues and finally conceive a child. During the IVF procedure, the matured eggs are collected from the ovaries that are fertilized by the sperm in a laboratory environment. The fertilized eggs or embryo are then implanted into the uterus. A single cycle usually takes about two weeks or so.
The IVF cycle is, therefore, the most effective form of assisted reproductive technology where the procedure is performed by using the patient’s own eggs and the partner’s sperm. The IVF may also involve using eggs, sperms, and embryo from an unknown donor and in some cases from a gestational carrier. However, the chances of having a healthy baby by using IVF basically depends on various factors like the age and the cause of infertility. In addition to this, IVF can be time-consuming, expensive and invasive procedure too. But if more than one embryo is implanted in the uterus then IVF may result in a pregnancy with more than one foetus.
Factors that determine the successful embryo transfer
There are various factors that may determine the success rate of the IVF procedure and that may hinder the pregnancy procedure-
- Age- Age is an important factor that may affect the egg production. It has been seen that younger women typically have higher chances of IVF success. Whereas, older woman reduces the chances of IVF success by producing fewer eggs of lower quality. According to the recent studies, the live birth IVF success rate for a woman who is under 35 years of age is 40 percent. Whereas, women who are over 42 years of age have a minimum success rate which is near about 4 percent.
- Previous pregnancy- The IVF success rate factor also includes information about the previous pregnancy, whether or not the patients have undergone any previous pregnancies. If the patient were pregnant previously with the same partner who is currently undergoing the IVF treatment then there are greater chances of a successful pregnancy. Now patients with a history of recurrent miscarriage or pregnancy with a different partner may reduce the chances of IVF success.
- Type of fertility issues- While some male infertility issues may impact the IVF success factors like uterine abnormalities, exposure to fibroid tumors may also decrease the likely success of the IVF cycle. It is very important to take a note that the IVF success rates are dependent on female factors like ovulation, ovarian dysfunction like high FSH levels which indicate a low ovarian reserve and that may help in reducing the chances of IVF success. The factors that may lower the pregnancy rates and reduce the success rate by using a large amount of ovulation-stimulating However, when both the partners are infertile the chances of IVF success is least considering the length of time the candidates have been infertile.
- Use of donor eggs- The donor eggs are a significant consideration for women who are over 35 to 40 age when the chances of IVF success rate is high. The factors such as egg quality and the age of the donor are very important as using the donor eggs from younger women may higher chances of pregnancy for women over 40.
- Lifestyle habits- It is very important for the candidates to maintain a healthy lifestyle and stop smoking if the patient wants to improve the chances of having a baby. The woman, therefore, may have to stop smoking for at least 3 weeks before starting the IVF treatment because-
- Smokers require a higher dosage of fertility drugs that can stimulate their ovaries.
- The chances of lower implantation rates are lower than the non-smokers.
- Women who smoke may require attempting twice as many IVF attempts.
- The IVF success rate also depends whether the patients are obese or not because women who are overweight may have an increased risk of infertility as well as miscarriage. Women with normal to underweight have higher chances of IVF success.
- Last but the most important factor is to choose the best possible IVF clinic to undergo the IVF procedure. The training and experience of the IVF clinic and staff, the laboratory used by the clinic and finally the qualifications of their staff are the most important factors too.