Determinants of IVF Success
IVF means In-Vitro Fertilization. Couple should consider IVF without much delay if
- IUI cycles failed 2-4 times
- Wife has blocked Fallopian tubes
- Premature failure of ovaries
- Advanced female age – over 38 years old
- Severe endometriosis
- Husband has low sperm count or low motility
IVF cycle in snapshot
- Ovaries are stimulated with hormones to produce more eggs
- Eggs released from ovaries are extracted by laparoscopy
- Under high power microscope, egg is injected with a good quality sperm from husband
- Fertilised egg is grown inside an incubator under controlled micro-environment
- In 2-3 days it grows into an embryo, which is transferred into uterus
Success rate of IVF
Improved IVF technologies have shown significantly improved success rates. Women with favourable factors have IVF success rates of 40% or higher, while others have per-cycle success rates of 20-35%. Variation in success rate is due to following determinants of IVF
- IVF Specialist
- IVF Lab
- Quality Check
Determinants of success of IVF cycle
Blocked Fallopian tube is association with higher chances of IVF success, if other concomitant conditions are absent. If the ovarian function is good and husband’s sperms are of good quality, isolated blocked Fallopian tube prevents natural conception. By taking egg and sperm outside and fusing them in lab for the embryo to grow surpasses the obstacle.
Wife with premature ovarian failure or advanced age may have lower success due to poor quality of eggs and the resulting embryos.
Wife with severe endometriosis may also have lower success due to difficulties in implantation. One who has undergone IUI cycles (Intra Uterine Insemination) and failed multiple times are at risk of poor outcome in IVF cycle. During IUI, ovaries are stimulation artificially by hormones for producing more eggs. Stimulation of ovaries over multiple IUI cycles might lead to exhaustion of ovaries. To conserve time, resources and ovaries, it is imperative to shift to IVF after 2-4 failed IUI cycles.
Husband with normal sperm count and function will lead to higher chances of IVF success. One will beget poor quality embryos, if the sperm motility, structure or function are compromised. It can occur in
- Varicocele (swelling of vein that drains the testicle)
- Antibodies that attack sperms
- Ejaculation problems
- Undescended testes
- Hormone imbalance (deficiency of testosterone)
- Defects of tubules that transport sperms
- Genetic variations in sperms
- IVF Specialist
IVF Specialist are Gynecologists trained in IVF techniques in a certified hospital. Following the certification, they need years of practice to master the skills leading to higher success rates. Managing IVF cycle is complex and each woman needs tailored regimen of hormones to produce sufficient quantity of eggs and prepare terus for implantation, within acceptable limits of side effects. You should select a doctor who is trained, experienced and have track record of higher IVF success rates.
Embryologist is the one who performs fine task of preserving eggs, sperms and embryos under artificial micro-environment. He or she also injects sperm in egg, a delicate task that demands knowledge, skills and years of practice. Success of good quality embryos relies on quality of this artificial fusion of sperm and egg. Good quality embryo has higher chances of implantation and growing to fetus.
- IVF Lab
Some IVF Labs have inherently higher success rates than others, owing to adherence to strict standards for infrastructure and protocols.
- Specified flooring, ceiling and wall paint which has lower VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). VOCs are often components of petroleum fuels, hydraulic fluids and paints. Particles with a diameter of 10 microns (PM10) are the most hazardous and are formed by the sunlight-initiated oxidation of VOCs. Such particles in air of IVF lab damage tender eggs and embryos.
- Laminar ventilation to direct the air flow in desired manner without causing air turbulence. Air purifier to filter out micro particles and bacteria.
- Specific quality of disinfectant to clean the equipment and surfaces.
- No use of perfumes and talcum powder by Lab personnel to avoid damage to sensitive embryos
- Strict adherence to international protocols at all times by all staff including housekeeping
- Quality Check and Audit to ensure compliance to international protocols and standard operating procedures. At Currae IVF Lab, Quality Controls are in place to ensure compliance to ethical standards and avoid any mismatch.
You might appreciate that you will lead to successful IVF cycle if all these factors are favourable. Before opting for IVF, make sure to visit Currae IVF Lab with internationally approved standard of infrastructure and quality checks and where each staff complies to international protocols at all times. Our team of IVF Specialists and Embryologists is trained, experienced and have track record of giving bliss of parenting to hundreds to couples.